Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ava and her clothes




I've been thinking about what to post, and I decided I will ask for some advice. If you know Ava, who is 3.5yrs, she can be very particular about certain things. Right now she is very concerned about her clothes...she has to wear jeans, a long sleeve shirt with a short sleeve shirt over it. Here is an example. The problem with jeans is that she really only has about one nice pair that fit her well because she has worn holes in the other pairs. This morning as we were getting ready to go to MOPS, she said it was ok to wear one of the pairs with holes because it was just a "small hole." :) She likes to wear this combo to be like her daddy! She definitely is not a girly girl! If we are staying home, I don't care what she wears but if we are going somewhere I do care some. I try to give her choices. I will admit, sometimes I just want her to look cute so...do I just need to get over it? Is it really a big deal or am I making it that way? Do I fight her on what she wants to wear? What do I do? Any advice would be appreciated!




On another note, today we were talking about the Resurrection Eggs. When Stu came home, Ava wanted to tell him about them. She was doing pretty well for her age, and then she came to the linen piece...she told her daddy that it was for Jesus bottom! He asked her if she meant 'his body' but she was sure it was his bottom!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her dad must be a stud and high on fashion. Plus, look at that stance - she is a natural athlete.

Stu

Heather said...

I can't give you advice on that one. Linsey is a girly girl and loves to dress up!! She will wear anything I get out. Don't worry too much Ava always looks cute!!

-Heather

Anonymous said...

Hey Liv...I love to give advice, so here you go:)! Okay, Marlee is totally in the stage of picking out her own clothes, and determining to wear them. Like yesterday, she picked out a pair of polka-dot black stretch pants, an "I love Mom" t-shirt (stained), with a BLUE wool sweater over everything. She also often picks out dresses and puts them with random pants that don't really match. Here's my theory: Her dressing herself saves ME time. Also, it gives her a sense of accomplishment. Finally, the style now is really "anything goes" anyway, isn't it? So, I guess I would say that the stage will probably pass soon and to let her wear the same, old jeans with the t-shirt combo. However, this is coming from a mom who is still wearing clothes she wore in high school...and whose mother still buys her clothes because she tired of seeing her daughter wear the "same things all the time". Hmmm....

Sincerely,
Molly Steffen

Anonymous said...

Hey Liv, good discussion point :). Well, I do not have a little girl & I am not to the stage where you have to have random play clothes, but I always thought that I would not let anything into their closet or dresser that I was not okay with them putting on themselves.
I do realize that it is a little unrealistic as you have to have jeans with holes for play & not for other times :).
I do also appreciate when I see a child that is mis-matched because I know the mom let the child dress themself & think it is healthy. If you do make her wear a certain outfit at times, it is probably good for her to know that you are mom once in a while.
Oh, so easy on paper, huh :)! Love, J

L, Ann and boys said...

If I had any ideas I would give them. My boys would just rather wear their PJs all day and not get dressed at all. =o)

Ann

S & L Gutwein said...

Thanks for the comments girls, I will try to just relax a little more! Like you said Jen, it's sometimes easier on paper!